Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Unstoppable Rash & Emergency Room

It was 2 years ago, my allergy rash came back...

After I ate lobster at my favorite restaurant, my upper lip suddenly got swollen. Actually I had this problem several times when I ate shell fish but usually I was OK after I slept.
But a few days later, my lip got swollen again, and then a few days later I started having rashes night time...
It got more frequent when I got rashes. I recollect my rash problem 7 years ago, too...

One day, I went to emergency room because it was the day before a concert, I cannot play the flute with this swollen upper lip.

I waited about 1 hour and a doctor saw me for less than 3 minutes. Then he said,

"It's allergy. I've seen worse. Take Benadryl, you'll get sleepy, don not drive......"

He handed me 2 tablets of Benadryl and a cup of water. That was it.

Later they sent me an outrageous bill. They charged me about $640 ($440 for hospital, $200 for doctor) for that 3 minutes, 2 tablets of Benadryl and a cup of water.

My friends gave me a lot of advice about health system in US later. But how do I know at that moment? It was an emergency for me!

Anyway, I paid the bill and I decided not to go to hospital for allergy anymore. (If I get any acute allergy reaction and need a shot, I may go...) But all they can do is give me some antihistamines.

Antihistamines don't cure allergy, they just stop the symptom.

Don't kill the messenger! Just killing messengers makes your health worse.

No comments: